TCYBA League Structure
Fall / Winter League runs Oct to March with a break in December.
- Grades K - 2 Jr. NBA (Please view separate program outline below under Jr. NBA heading)
- Grades 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6 (Junior)
- Grades 6/7, 7/8 (Senior)
- Grades 9/10, 11/12 (9+)
|Development (SNYB)||Representative (TCYBA)|
|Grade 9-12 (Girls only)|
|Grade 9/10 (Boys only)|
|Grade 11/12 (Boys only)|
is a SNYB (Steve Nash Youth Basketball) group:
- Teams are set at 12 players or as per policy with exception of the Jr. NBA program which is a training group of 20 participants
- Players may pick their practice time, day, location and coaches per league policies.
New players must play at their Grade/Age level
- i.e. new grade 6 player may only play in Grade 5/ 6 playing in Grade 6/ 7 is considered playing up in Grade
Players may not play above their Grade/Age level
- i.e. Grade 6 player may play in Grade 5/ 6 or in Grade 6/ 7 based on personal preference and ability.
- Equal playing time for all players
- Grade 3/4 is the first level of game competition in the TCYBA and the competition model used is 3 X 3
- Score will be kept at Grade 7/8 to Grade 12
- FIBA modified rules will apply with man to man only
- Will have one practice (1 Hour) and one game per week as practical
- Grade 2–5 will have Alicia Lahm Jamboree in March
- Grade 3-8 will have games to be played on Friday nights.
- Grade 7/8 is run as a secondary school preparatory league with standings being kept and additional academy training sessions being provided to participants.
- Grade 9 – 12 will have games to be played on Fridays, Saturdays or Sundays dependent on gender
- Participation in Non-TCYBA tournaments or exhibition games are possible for older development aged teams but are coordinated and organized through the TCYBA Executive Director and approved by the TCYBA Board. Possible participation is based on Coach and Player availability and Participation cannot be mandatory for players
- All coaches must have CRC by beginning of season
- Must attend seasonal coaches meeting and 1 TCYBA clinic per season
- Teams must have coach and assistant coach at all levels
- Coaches are encouraged to have NCCP Community Sport Coaching Certification (or old Level 1) or ongoing coaching development opportunities approved by TCYBA
is a competitive TCYBA group that is development based and performance centered.
- No limit on # of teams at each level
- # of teams solely based on # of players showing ability or potential to play at level each year
- Players are not grandfathered and must tryout each year for this division.
- As players must be evaluated this will be done in season preceding registration,
- If possible a Fall evaluation could be considered, but not required, for players who register late or feel they have improved considerably. Conditions and prerequisites may be required such as proof of attending clinics or camps and a coach’s recommendation.
- Player commitment is for full year with commensurate fees.
- Teams are a maximum of 12 players
- Grade 6 & 7 players may only play on U13 Rep Teams
- Grade 8 players may only play on U14 Rep Teams
- Two team practices per week each 1.5 hours on weeknight preferable Girls on Monday & Wednesday and Boys on Tuesdays & Thursdays to balance with weekend Metro League games
- Teams will have 1 game per week, as available or will participate in outside leagues, exhibition games, and tournaments as available.
- Players will be assigned to teams through evaluation and selection by a selection committee. Minimal consideration will be given to player/parent requests.
- All fees are non refundable and payable in advance or as scheduled.
- All TCYBA play is consistent with fair play rules.
- All outside playing time is at coaches discretion or applicable game rules
- Will be participating extensively in Non TCYBA games and tournaments.
- Must have CRC completed as part of application for position
- Must attend seasonal coaches meeting and 1 TCYBA clinic per year
- Coaches/Asst. must have NCCP Community Sport Coaching Certification (or old Level 1) or ongoing coaching development opportunities approved by TCYBA.
The JR NBA is an exciting program that has been part of Tri-City Youth Basketball Association programming since its inception in October. The program is for Boys and Girls from Kindergarten to grade 2.
The JR NBA program provides each player with a chance to take part in a physical literacy-based program that is different from the traditional basketball programs you generally experience.
Players are provided with a t-shirt with a real NBA team logo, light weight multi-colored Spalding Rookie Gear basketball and the use of lower basketball hoops that adjust to a height that is appropriate to the players ages. This program is 12 week in duration during the Fall/ Winter Season and 8 weeks long during the TCYBA Spring season. The program offers the introduction of foundational athletic principles and basic basketball fundamentals in a fun filled format that uses a games approach to teaching. The per player cost for this program varies based on duration and enrollment is limited to only 20 spots.
Program location and registration fee information is available on the TCYBA registration page.
The JR NBA curriculum is Canadian Sport For Life Compliant and was developed through a partnership between the NBA and Sport Canada. It’s focus includes the introduction of basic movement skills and the introduction of fundamental athletic skills including:
- Throwing (Shoot / Pass / Ball Leaves Hands)
- Basic Basketball Skills
- Basketball Geography (locations on the floor and what they mean).
Practices consist of:
- Intro / Goals
- Basketball specific activities
- Cool down and closing
The program also focuses on maximizing basketball touches by having a ball for each participant to ensure that every player gets a chance to handle the ball through the introduction of exciting game based drills that will provide the players with most enjoyable experience possible.
If you have any questions please contact the TCYBA Registrar at email@example.com