TCYBA is looking for volunteers to coach teams during our Fall / Winter 2023-24 Season. Whether you’ve played basketball before and want to be a Head Coach, or you’re keen to learn the game and want to help out as an Assistant Coach, we’d love to hear from you. Head Coaches must have graduated high school, but students are always welcome as Assistant Coaches.
We offer the following boys’ and girls’ teams:
Rookie - Kindergarten-Grade 1 (co-ed) and Gr 2/3
Development - Grade 3/4 to Grade 6/7, Grade 7/8 Prep Division
High School Recreational - Grades 9–12
DETAILS OF OUR 2023-24 FALL/WINTER SEASON
- Rookie Division (K-Gr 1 only)
- There will be 2 sessions - Fall session #1 and Winter session #2. We encourage interested coaches to commit to both sessions.
- Fall session #1 - begins the week of October 3, 2023 and runs for 11 practices
- Winter session #2 - begins the week of January 9, 2024 and runs for 9 practices
- We are now booking teams for Fall session #1
- Development League (Gr 3/4-Gr 11/12) & Rookie Division (Gr 2/3 only)
- Begins the week of September 25, 2023
- Ends the week of March 4, 2024
- Winter Break will be December 17, 2023 – January 7, 2024 inclusive
If you are coaching in the Development League, you will need to be available for a 1 hour practice each week and a 1 hour game on Fridays, scheduled anytime between 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm throughout the Tri-Cities.
- Rookie Division K-Gr 1 and Gr 2/3 teams do not play games and will only have a 1 hour practice each week
- Gr 7/8 teams have a 1.5 hour practice each week
- Gr 9/10 boys & Gr 11/12 boys’ teams will play games on Saturdays, anytime between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm in the Tri-Cities
Visit our website for more information about our League Structure and our Rookie and Development teams.
TCYBA endeavours to have a solid system for developing coaches, which in turn will help develop our players on a more even level. We understand everyone has busy schedules and can’t always attend coaching clinics, so we have put together resources you can access when it’s convenient for you. Our website has coaching resources and practice plans to get you started.
Google Classroom is a TCYBA developed coaching enhancement tool that provides age specific pdf’s and links to practice plans, drills and individual and team development resources. Access to Google Classroom will be provided prior to the start of the season.
Additionally, TCYBA has developed a series of complimentary, hands-on Coaching Workshops for all TCYBA coaches and assistant coaches to attend. Coaching 101 will be offered prior to the start of the fall/winter season.
Read more about Coaching Resources at TCYBA.
CRIMINAL RECORD CHECKS (CRCs)
It is TCYBAs policy that each head coach and each assistant coach be registered as a coach on Stack Sports and has a valid, original CRC on file every five years. Full details will be provided when you sign up to coach a team.
COACH A TEAM
If you are interested in coaching a team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to secure a gym time. In your response, indicate which grade and gender you would like to coach (i.e. Gr 5/6 girls).
Note: new players must play at their grade/age level (i.e. new grade 6 player may only play in grade 5/6. Playing in grade 6/7 is considered playing up in grade 7).
Head Coaches who sign up to coach one of our Rookie teams (K-Gr 1 or Gr 2/3) will receive an honorarium at the end of the season.
Thank you for volunteering your time to coach a team at TCYBA and we look forward to seeing you on the court this fall!