We are making plans for the start of our basketball season this Fall with practices and games resuming. All of the information provided will be based on current Public Health Orders and may change at any time. For right now, as things are not yet back to ‘normal’, we will still be on a modified Covid rental schedule (i.e. not our usual gym rentals) as follows:
SD43 is optimistic we will be able to resume rentals on a hybrid basis with gym rentals in stages:
- Stage 1 will be September-December 2021
- Stage 2 will be January-March 2022
- Stage 3 will be April-June 2022
Decisions will be made approximately one month in advance of each stage to determine if we can go back to the pre COVID schedule, which will see us return to our regular gym rental bookings.
SD40 New West & SD42 Pitt Meadows
Unfortunately, we have not been given any rental booking start date or procedures for SD40 and SD42 at this time. Until we know what our rentals in these districts will be, we will offer teams in these areas gym opportunities in the Tri-Cities. Flexibility will be key to get all teams booked into a gym.
Once gym rentals in these school districts resume, we will offer teams a gym to move back to.
Fall/Winter Start Date
Right now we plan to move forward with a September 27 start date (please note there was a typo in the email and it is not Sep 20) and today we will begin securing your gym time (see details below). If a September start date is not going to be possible, we will keep your confirmed gym allocation and delay the start of our season for when it is safe again to resume. We will communicate any changes to you and parents as soon as possible.
Fall/Winter Registration Phases
Registration for the 2021-22 season will happen in 3 phases, starting June 11. More details about our registration phases can be found on our website https://www.tcyba.org/registration.
Call for Fall/Winter Coaches
In preparation for the upcoming TCYBA 2021-22 Fall/Winter season, we would like to determine if you are planning to coach. If you are, please let me know ASAP to secure your gym time.
Details of our Fall/Winter Season
- Development League
- Begins the week of September 27, 2021
- Ends the week of February 14, 2022
- Rookie Division (K-Gr 2)
- There will be 2 sessions - Fall and Winter. We encourage interested coaches to commit to both sessions.
- Fall Session 1 - begins the week of October 4 and runs for 7 practices
- Winter Session 2 - begins the week of January 4 and runs for 7 practices
As a reminder, if you are coaching, you will need to be available for a 1 hour practice time each week and a 1 hour game on Fridays, scheduled anytime between 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm.
- Rookie Division and Gr 2/3 teams do not play games and will only have a 1 hour practice each week
- Gr 9/10 & Gr 11/12 boys teams will play on Saturdays, anytime between 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
For Returning Fall/Winter Coaches
- Please let me know if you would like to keep your 2020-21 Fall/Winter practice time/location - that was confirmed in September 2020 - or if you would prefer a different time and/or location based on availability. Include your current division, practice location, day and time. Please note, we are on a modified Covid rental schedule. You may need to move to a new location temporarily.
- Indicate in your email which division you are going to coach (i.e. last year’s 4/5 division will move up to 5/6 but can remain at 4/5 depending on the composition of your team)
If you aren't planning on returning to coaching this Fall/Winter
- Please reply ASAP or by Friday May 28 so we can give your team an opportunity to find a coach without losing their current gym or phase 1 registration status.
For New Coaches and Returning Spring Coaches
- If you are a new or a previous spring season only coach and you would like to coach a team this fall/winter, indicate which grade and gender (i.e. 5/6 girls) you would like to coach.
- Note: new players must play at their grade/age level (i.e. new grade 6 player may only play in grade 5/6. Playing in grade 6/7 is considered playing up in grade 7).
Priority for gyms will be given to returning 2020-21 Fall/Winter teams requesting the same time and location they had last Fall/Winter season. Teams from New West and Pitt Meadows will be given priority over returning spring teams and new teams. HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE: We don’t necessarily receive the same gym allocation from season to season. If your gym is not available for Fall/Winter, changes will need to be made but we will make every effort to find a suitable alternative.
Deadline to Secure your Gym
Deadline to reply is Friday May 28 9:00 am after which your gym allocation will be open to changing then new teams.
Criminal Record Checks (CRCs)
It is TCYBA’s policy that each head coach and assistant coach be registered to the team on Stack Sports and has an updated, original CRC on file every three (3) years. If your CRC is expired or about to expire, I will let you know. The deadline to receive your CRC is June 30, 2021. Full details about CRCs can be found on our website https://www.tcyba.org/criminal-record-check.
We appreciate your patience and understanding as we navigate the current situation and thank you for volunteering your time to coach a team at TCYBA!
Gyms, Coaches & Special Events
Tri-City Youth Basketball Association