Our gym allocation for the 2022-23 season has just been approved. We would now like to determine if you are planning to coach in the fall. If you are returning as a head coach or an assistant coach, please let me know ASAP to secure your gym time.
Some changes for next year:
- As we begin transitioning out of our ‘Covid rental agreements’ into a more typical rental allocation, there will be changes to the securing of gyms for all teams. As our gym allocation has changed, the gym time you have had in the past may not be the same you have going forward.
- Additionally, we have made enhancements to our Fall programming for our Gr 7/8 division as follows:
- To better prepare Gr 7/8 players for high school participation, along with a 1 hour game, we are increasing the practice time for these teams from 1 hour to 1.5 hours per week. Certain gyms have been allocated for the increased practice time and will be communicated with coaches running teams at this level. Visit our website to learn more about Grade 7/8 teams and the Prep division.
Details of our Fall/Winter Season
- Development League
- Begins the week of September 26, 2022
- Ends the week of February 27, 2023
- Rookie Division (K-Gr 2)
- There will be 2 sessions - Fall and Winter. We encourage interested coaches to commit to both sessions.
- Fall Session 1 - begins the week of October 3, 2022 and runs for 8 practices
- Winter Session 2 - begins the week of January 3, 2023 and runs for 8 practices
- Elite Division (U12, U13, U14)
- Begins the week of September 19, 2022
- Ends the week of February 27, 2023
As a reminder, if you are coaching, you will need to be available for a 1 hour practice each week and a 1 hour game on Fridays, scheduled anytime between 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm.
- Rookie Division and Gr 2/3 teams do not play games and will only have a 1 hour practice each week
- Gr 9/10 & Gr 11/12 boys’ teams will play games on Saturdays, anytime between 8:30 am – 5:30 pm
- Elite Division teams practice twice a week for 1.5 hours each with weekend games and tournaments
For Returning Fall/Winter Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches
- Please include your current practice location/day/time in your response
- As gym times and locations are changing, indicate your preferred practice day and location. I will do my best to accommodate all coaches based on availability.
- Indicate in your email which division you are going to coach this fall (i.e. last year’s 4/5 division will move up to 5/6 but can remain at 4/5 depending on the composition of your team)
If you aren't planning on returning to coaching this fall/winter
- Please reply ASAP or by Thursday May 19 latest so we can give your team an opportunity to find a coach without losing their phase 1 registration status.
For New Coaches and Returning Spring Coaches
- If you are a new or a previous spring season only coach and you would like to coach a team this fall/winter, indicate which grade and gender you would like to coach (i.e. 5/6 girls).
- Note: new players must play at their grade/age level (i.e. new grade 6 player may only play in grade 5/6. Playing in grade 6/7 is considered playing up in grade 7).
Gym Priority & Deadline to Secure your Gym
Priority for gym selection will be given as follows. Please note the deadlines to ensure you are not disappointed. First come, first served within each phase:
Phase 1 - Returning Fall/Winter 2021-22 teams (Development, Rookie & Elite) – May 13 - May 19
Phase 2 – Spring 2022 teams (Development & Rookie) – May 20 – 24
Phase 3 – New teams - May 27+
Criminal Record Checks (CRCs)
It is TCYBA’s policy that each head coach and each assistant coach be registered to the team on Stack Sports and has an updated, original CRC on file every two years (team managers don’t need to provide a CRC). If your CRC is expired or about to expire, I will let you know. The deadline to receive your CRC is June 1, 2022. Read full details about CRCs on our website.
Covid 19 Protocols
Starting this fall, and assuming there are no changes, TCYBA will no longer require vaccine confirmation for coaches and team managers. However, should the provincial requirements change, we would require coaches and team managers to be fully vaccinated and provide proof of vaccination.
Keep up to date with happenings at TCYBA by following us on our new Facebook page.
Thank you for volunteering your time to coach a team at TCYBA and we can’t wait to see you all again in the fall!
Gyms, Coaches Digital Content & Special Events
Tri-City Youth Basketball Association