Individuals interested in officiating for the TCYBA must be a minimum of 15 years of age (Grade 9) and be able to commit to the following criteria:
- Be available most Friday evenings from 5-9 pm between October and February for Fall / Winter League and April-June for Spring League.
- Each year, officials selected to referee work in October and November but are conspicuously unavailable when the high school basketball season starts. Availability and commitment are critical to league operations. Please do not apply for an officials position if you are not available to work for the entire season.
- Games are one hour in length.
- Referees will usually be assigned to work two or three games on a Friday night, but not every week. Depending on the number of returning referees, new officials can expect to work at least every second week.
- Scheduling is a complex task, so personal requests such as specific times or locations cannot be guaranteed.
- Take your responsibilities seriously. Officiating games is a job. Punctuality and professionalism are vital.
- A strong familiarity with basketball is a must, as is positive coachability.
- Compensation begins at $16.00 per game. After working for a complete season, a referee can expect to be evaluated. If the evaluation is successful, the pay rate will increase.
Our 2021 Fall Officials Clinic will be held on Wednesday September 29, 6:00-9:00 pm at Glen Elementary School in Coquitlam. The session will include a 30-45 minute meeting and information session for all our officials, new and returning. After that, returning officials will leave and new applicants will stay for a training session from about 7:00-9:00 pm. Our Officials Coordinator and several of our senior referees will be teaching, demonstrating, having you participate on the court, and taking notes on your performance. Please dress for gym activity. You don't need to bring a whistle as one will be provided for you.
You must pre register for the officials clinic.
Attendance at the officials clinic is mandatory in order to be considered for hiring as a TCYBA referee. We do have another clinic in the spring for our spring league so if for some reason you can't attend this month, you can always come back in April.
If you're interested in applying and wish to pre register, please contact the League Coordinator.