Benefits of Refereeing
- Get paid to stay in shape instead of paying for it!
- Meet new friends
- Best seat in the house
- Being a positive role model
Individuals interested in officiating for the TCYBA must be a minimum of 15 years of age (Grade 9) and be able to commit to the following criteria:
- Be available most Friday evenings between October and early March for Fall / Winter League and April-June for Spring League.
- Each year, officials selected to referee work in October and November but are conspicuously unavailable when the high school basketball season starts. Availability and commitment are critical to league operations. Please do not apply for an officials position if you are not available to work for the entire season.
- Games are one hour in length.
- Referees will usually be assigned to work two or three games on a Friday night, but not every week. Depending on the number of returning referees, new officials can expect to work at least every second week.
- Scheduling is a complex task, so personal requests such as specific times or locations cannot be guaranteed.
- Take your responsibilities seriously. Officiating games is a job. Punctuality and professionalism are vital.
- Compensation begins at $15.00 per game. After working for a complete season, a referee can expect to be evaluated. If the evaluation is successful, the pay rate will increase.
If you're interested in applying, please contact the League Coordinator.
Other pages in the Officials Section...